The St. George's Bowling Club was founded in the year 1922 and is situated on the public recreation ground in Church Road, St. George's.
The grounds were left in trust to the village of St. George's and as such are managed by the Sports & Social Club and their various Committee's who administer the maintenance of the grounds and the Social Club as a registered charity.
Therefore, as an affliate to the Sports & Social Club, the Bowling Club has to manage it's own affairs and all work is undertaken voluntarily by Club members.
The first green (The smaller bottom green) was laid in 1923 by Bakers of Wolverhampton and this was opened in 1924 with the holding of the SCGBA County Handicap.
The first official Secretary of the Club was Mr. J.W. Pickering, who, in his playing career, achieved the highest award any bowler would wish to attain in winning the BCGBA Individual Merit in 1935 at Mitchell's & Butlers Recreation Club.
In 1933 the Bowling Club became one of the founder members of the Mid-Shropshire Bowling League and still hold the record, which has yet to be equalled, of having 12 winners with an aggregate score of 138, which was achieved in 1937. The Club first won the Mid-Shropshire First Division title in 1941 and have gone on to achieve this feat no less than 25 times.
In 1934 it was decided that some form of pavilion must be erected and the smaller one of the two standing today was built at a cost of £350
Floodlights were erected in 1963 and a Floodlit Competition, sponsored by the Shropshire Star, started in 1964, this continued to run for a number of years with some big name winners
In 1967 the decision was taken to lay a second bowling green, along with a new set of floodlights and another, larger pavilion.
In 1989, the facilities were further enhanced with the provision of three weather shelters for players and spectators, making the Club one of the premier clubs in the Midlands for facilities and players.
The 1994 season saw the Club become founder members of the Shropshire Premier Bowling League, which was formed to bring together the most successful club sides in Shropshire, with the ultimate aim of achieving national success for the Shropshire county team. Since it's inception the Club has won the League title on no less than five times, the first being in 1999.
The years 2001 and 2002 saw probably the most successful years in the Club's prestigious history. These two years saw the Club win the Winsford Homes National Team Championship, British Parks Federation Team Championship, Glynn Hill County Cup and the Shropshire Premier Bowling League.